Sunday 16 December 2012

No words

I want to find the words. But there are none. I am utterly at a loss with what to say. My son is 6. He will be 7 in June. He is in Cedar class with 29 other beautiful sweet kids. I cannot even begin to imagine them gone.

I keep hugging him and weeping and I just can't find the words. I can't explain how sad I feel for those families and their overwhelming loss.

I stare at the photos of the Sandy Hook Elementary school victims - those bright little faces filled with joy and all that amazing potential and life.... and I just... can't think of what to say.

So I'm going to borrow a quote my friend Mat put on Facebook:

As the the late great Bill Hicks said "There's no connection between having a gun and shooting someone with it, and not having a gun and not shooting someone. There have been studies made and there is no connection and you'd be a fool and a Communist to make one."






PS I read this post by Serge Bielanko - and I think it expresses everything we are all feeling just beautifully. Go read. 

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

This is the most sickening, tragedy. We were away on holiday last week and came home to find out about it, and it made me feel ill. I have 2 little boys, one who is 6 and the idea that this is even a remote possibility makes me want to homeschool.

But the thing is, guns are available to those who want them. Where I live, South Africa, is not even mentioned on the ''deaths from guns'' stats and it is a well-known crime hotspot (in some areas). But guess what? Gun laws are extremely, EXTREMELY strict. Okay, so it is ''more possible'' to get a gun license here than in, say, the UK, but the fact is, the vast, vast overwhelming number of gun crimes are committed by illegal guns. You see, simply announcing we aren't allowed them anymore solves nothing at all, because the nut jobs, the psychos and the criminals will get them, and they will use them. Sure, the US is bizarrely free and easy when it comes to allowing any eye-rolling nut to buy an assault rifle of his or her choice, clearly something must give. But ''banning'' guns across the board only hurts the law abiding and no one else. This is played out daily here in SA. I say daily, but it will be far more often than that and there are few of us who have been untouched by violence at the hands of evil criminals with (illegally obtained, untraceable) hand guns of every sort.