Sunday 14 April 2013

40





Today, I turned 40.

To be fair, I've had a bit of a birthday week. Lunches and drinks and a massive party last night, filled with all the folk I have loved and laughed with over the years. I reckoned that with a free margarita bar, some fab Mexican food from these guys I couldn't go wrong.

Did I mention the theme was pimps and hookers through the ages? Gawd bless my mates - they really went to town. Secretly I think the boys loved getting their inner pimp on and the ladies all released their slutty sides. Outfit of the night was my mate Bangor, who dressed in the same outfit as his wife... fabulous corseted and in fishnets. We had Eyes wide shut masks, Grand theft auto characters, high class hookers and Parisian courtesans. There was a moment where I stopped to make a speech and glanced around the room at the bizarre motley crew around me and I felt so damn lucky, to know such ejits.

I may not have all the answers to my endless career/motherhood juggles; I maybe made choices based on my love of what I do rather than making money - and so am not wealthy - but what I do know at 40 is this: to have good friends (those you can call upon to cheer up your day, to make you belly laugh, to share your joys and disappointments - to support you and love you) is to be rich. And last night, as I raised the glass above to all those who celebrated with me, I felt like the wealthiest woman in the world.

40. Bring. It. On. Here's to another fabulous 40 years....


PS Thanks to Jess Mason for this fab picture!

No comments: